Monday, February 4, 2008

Otis Humphrey


About 5 years ago we welcomed a very ornery white boxer into our home. Cody fell in love with him when he saw him and called me and told me to go get him. We already had Belle and I was a little nervous about having another dog, but being the loving wife that I am I went and got Otis. Little did I know what I was in for. Otis is one of the most hyper boxers ever. He is always excited to see everyone and he lets you know it with a very loving lick, usually on your face! He used to have problems with jumping up on people but luckily he stopped that-he does weigh 70 lbs! He can some how sense when someone is not a dog person (like my mom) and he seems to really like them. He just follows my mom around when she is here. If she happens to fall asleep on the couch, well she is usually awakened by a nice, wet lick on the face! She loves it, even if she says she doesn't!


Last week Otis stopped eating. He's never been a great eater, but he usually eats once a day. I think he's had one good meal in the last week so we took him to the vet this morning and they kept him all day. I called this afternoon and talked to the vet and he confirmed our worse fears-Otis has cancer. All of his lymph nodes are swollen and when they took a sample of one and looked at it under the microscope he was 90% sure that it was cancer, but he is going to send it in to get a 2nd opinion. This has been very hard on all of us. Otis is like a child to us and we love him very much. It looks like we will have some very hard decisions to make this week. I am not looking forward to it. I don't think chemo is something that we are willing to put Otis through. According to the vet, it is very expensive, very hard on the dog, and there is no guarantee it will work. It doesn't seem fair to do that to him. He has always been such a happy boxer and right now he is not. It's so sad to see this dog that was full of life just last week. Hopefully if we can get some food into him that will help his energy level, but overall the outcome does not look good. Please think of Otis this week as we await news from the Dr.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Being the huge animal person that I am. . .my heart is breaking for you. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Jodi

The Hooper Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Otis. I know what a big part of your family he is. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

We're so sorry about Otis, Andy's dog Olga had the same sad end. I know it's awful for you guys, we're thinking about you.

The Toepfer's

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara