Friday, March 14, 2008

Otis Pickle

Update: Otis seems to have gotten worse over the weekend. He still hasn't eaten and now when ever he drinks something he just throws it up. He also keeps hiding in random spots around the house in order to get away from everyone. We have found him under the kitchen table, under the high chair, in between the couch and the end table, and in Ella's closet. All those things put together kind of tell us he is ready to go. He seems to have made peace with it, I however have not. I realize that this is the best for him, but it still sucks. I can't say that he was the best dog, he is sort of ornery, but he's our dog and that's all that matters. We love you Otis Humphrey. You will forever be missed.

3/17/08 Otis has officially crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. Cody buried him at his parents farm. I ordered him a little grave marker today. I already miss him so much.




Otis has many nicknames. Some are loving nicknames, some not so loving. I have been really careful about only using the loving nicknames lately. Here are a few that we love to use:

Otis Botis

Otis Pickle

Otis Humpernickle

Otis Humpernickle Pickle

Bubba

Pickle

Oda Boda

Odors

How he got these nicknames we have no clue. They were just names that sort of came out of our mouths at one time or another and they stuck.

Otis has not been doing so well. He quit eating yesterday. We have been trying all sorts of different foods and he won't touch any of them. He is still drinking water so that is a good thing, however the vet said that it is probably his time to go. We are going to see how the weekend goes and if he doesn't improve Cody is going to take him to the vet on Monday morning to have him put to sleep. None of us are taking this very well. I really just wanted Mother Nature to take it's course, however according to the vet he will probably die of dehydration and starvation first and that is just cruel. I definitely can't do that to him. I realize that I am probably just keeping him around for myself, but I love him so much. I don't want him to go.

Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Bear did the same thing before he died. It was really hard to see him go, especially after knowing him for 11 years. I still get teary eyed when I look at the place that he is buried over at mom and dad's. It is never easy to lose a member of the family. We are thinking about you all.

The Hooper Family said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know you had your battles with Otis, but he was such a cutie! Just remembering some of the stories you've told me about Otis, I just want to giggle! We are all thinking of you and Cody.

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara