Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My New BFF

Today we met with the surgeon and I have decided that he is my new BFF. Sorry Aunt A, you have been replaced.

Unlike the dermatologist, he was very positive and had a good outlook on all of this.

He even told us that I could wait until August to have the surgery because even if it has spread it does not spread that quickly. That made me feel SO much better. However, the chances of me waiting until August to have the surgery were slim to none. I pretty much said, fit me in as soon as you can.

He did an excellent job of explaining all of the linguistics to us. However, I am not an auditory person so it was a good thing that my husband was there because he took some excellent notes! I will try to decipher the notes for you. Please remember that my husband does not have the nicest handwriting and I don't remember much of what the Dr said so I hope I get this right. If I am wrong feel free to comment and let me know!

Apparently there are two methods that they use when examining Melanoma. One method tells you the depth and the other method tells you the chance that it has spread to another area.

The first method is called the Clarke's. The Clarke level of a melanoma uses a scale of I to V (1-5) to describe which layers of the skin are involved. Higher numbers mean a deeper melanoma. My level was 4.

The other method measures the thickness of the melanoma using a device something like a small ruler. This is called the Breslow measurement. My reading was a 1.35. They would like it to be under 1. If it was under 1 they wouldn't do any more but monitor me once a year. Since it was a little higher there is a possibility that it has spread. He was very optimistic that it had not spread.

On Friday we will head to the hospital and I will have a dye injected into my leg that will drift through the lymph nodes. We will then head across the street to the surgical center and I will have a radioactive dye injected that will be more of a visual dye.

It's blue. How cool is that? My pee and breast milk will be blue for a few days! Don't worry, I'll take pics:)

Anywoo, he will follow the dye with a Gieger Meter and remove the lymph nodes that are trapping the dye.

The Dr was very nice and I absolutely loved him. He felt that the swollen spot in my groin was more of a fatty mass not so much cancer. I told him that that was impossible since I have absolutely no fat on my body(he, he, he) , but I will take fat over cancer any day!!

Thank you all so, so much for your positive thoughts and prayers. There has been a lot of crying in our house and a lot of cuddling.

But I will tell you right now, I am so going to kick this cancer's ass!

33 comments:

Kerry said...

I'm so glad you feel so much better!! That's great that he gave you such optimistic news. He would definitely be my new BFF too.

The Mom said...

That sounds incredibly optomistic, I'm so happy you are pleased with him! You are going to kick it's ass!!

Blue urine now there's a photo for the books!

Jodi said...

I'm so very happy that you received such optimistic news! You are going to beat this. You are going to get through it. We are all here for you!

Jenn said...

So glad you had a better day today! That doc sounds nice,so much better then some. Have a good night !

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I am glad you have a postiive Doctor--positive vibes help more than most people think--and your last comment--I TOTALLY AGREE!

Chelle said...

The doc sounds amazing! I am so glad that he was so much more positive. And the cancer? I know you will kick its ass far, far away, girl.

And I know we will all be here cheering you on :)

Christy said...

Yay for kicking cancer's ass!

Tiffany said...

OH HAPPY DAY! That is so great to hear. I agree with your thought to do the surgery ASAP but that sounds great!

You enjoy your family and focus on this very positive news! You will beat this!

Oh, can't wait to see the pics! :)

Shannon said...

Crying and cuddling are totally appropriate right now. I'm glad things are sounding fairly positive, I'm so happy to hear it. Blue pee and breastmilk will totally be interesting though ;-)

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

What a wonderful post to read! I know you are in great hands, and having a doctor you feel so positive with and such a connection with makes ALL the difference. Crying and cuddling makes perfect sense to me right now - you should do as much of both as you need to!

I agree with you about having the surgery ASAP - the sooner you get started, the sooner you can work on kicking that cancer right in the ass! It will also give you more peace of mind and make you feel so much more proactive. Waiting can be the worst because your mind and emotions can play such awful head games with you.

You are a fighter, and I have no doubt the awful C word is soon going to be a blip on the radar screen.

You've got a wonderful support system, especially your fantastic hubby who took such meticulous notes so you could process all of it in your own time.

We are all here rooting for you and here to listen and help you in any way we can!

Much love,
Rach

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Oh yes, and I forgot to comment on the blue pee and breastmilk. How much fun will that be???

Can't WAIT to see the pics!

amanda said...

so you know oprah had the blue guy on...pretty sure she'd love to have you on. blue pee and blue boob juice!! pretty sure that totally trumps the old guy :)

love that you have a new bff (sorry aunt a) but an optimistic doctor sounds like the perfect kinda of friend!!

keep the great news comin!!

hugs :)

Anonymous said...

It is certainly comforting to see the support come from all over for Heather, Cody, Kyler, and Ella. It is the prayers and support that get us all through difficult times and for that we are very thankful and grateful. Words cannot express what it means to us.

You don't choose your family. They are God's Gift to you, as you are to them. Cody chose Heather to come into our family and she is God's gift to us. We thank God for her and pray for her healing and the strength we all need to get through this.

Cody's mom--Penny

Shana from EVERYTHING EADS said...

YAY! This sounds like really good news! Keep us updated!!

thetoepfertimes said...

That's great! This Dr sounds amazing!! We're so glad he gave you much better news and more definiate definitions of everything! We'll still be praying, but we're sure you'll beat this!

thetoepfertimes said...

Oh yeah, in response to the girl's matching swimsuits, my grandma bought those for the girls to wear at my mom's pool so Andy has no say in the matter! And they are pretty cute matching!

Mamasphere said...

Yes you are! You are TOTALLY going to kick its ass.

Your doctor sounds great. It's not often you find a doctor that can explain things so well. Looks like you are in some excellent care!

Formercitygirl said...

So glad to hear these news. Yay for your new BFF!

Clare said...

Heather, the news sounds great! You are definitely going to kick the cancer's ass!! Positive thoughts getting sent your way! Clare

Jen said...

I love your attitude and we all know that attitude is EVERYTHING!!! I'm so glad that you hit it off with your doctor and that he has such a positive outlook.

This actually reminded me of something my co-worker went through a year or so ago. She had a lump on her ankle that they thought for sure was cancer but it ended up being a fatty mass. She had just about planned her funeral when they gave her the good news. Damn those fatty masses and their trickery.

So just keep thinking positive thoughts and we'll all keep praying for you.

Cecily R said...

I cam over from Wendi's blog. I feel like I am spying on you or something because we don't know each other, but I couldn't leave without commenting. Although I don't know what to say now that I'm here. I'm so sorry.

I admire your strength in this ordeal. I admire your family's strength.

McMommy said...

HOORAY FOR FAT!!!!!!

Heather, what an awesome post! I am so proud of you for your positive attitude, your ability to find the humor (blue pee? so blog-worthy!!!) and your determination to KICK THE CANCER THE HECK OUT OF YOUR BODY!! Who-hoo!!!

Susan said...

I popped over from both Jenn and Wendi's blogs and though I didn't leave a comment the first day, which was the day you had just found out, I have not been able to get you out of my thoughts. I have been praying for you everytime I think about your situation. It was nice to come on today and see your strength and peace as you described your doctor and your determination to beat this. I will be praying for you tomorrow as you go through the whole blue dye thing.
(It will be pretty cool to see blue breast milk.)

Sue said...

Heather, came over from Wendi. All I can say is I am sorry about the cancer. I don't know you, but with your sense of humor (very important in this fight) and your desire to kick cancer's butt, I know you will knock it on it's ass.
Hang in there.

Becks said...

SOO glad you like your Dr!! That is so important!

Can't wait to see the blue breastmilk and urine, hahaha!

HUGS HUGS HUGS!!

Becks said...

By the way you are gonna kick it's sorry ass hard!!

Kristen said...

I had to stop by and see if you had heard anything.

I am so glad to hear that there might be a little bright news. And yes, my dear, you so are going to kick Cancer's Ass!! I love that!

Hang in there, and remember you have lots of people around this country pulling for you, and praying for you! :)

Lorraine said...

To the Snyder family from a Suth African family with the same circumstances (my son, 19 years old was diagnosed with melanoma on 4 July) Hang in there, be positive and keep praying.

Lorraine

M&M mom said...

Hi Heather,
I only recently started reading your site from my friend lifelong playdate. I don't know you at all but you should know my thoughts and prayers are with you! and I have no doubt that you will kick this cancer's ass! In our house we use the word pants for when things suck and this is totally PANTS!! Thanks for keeping us posted!
Tricia

The Benevolent Dictator said...

All the best of luck as you kick cancer's a*!

HappyHourSue said...

If he says you can wait til August, that is AWESOME news. We're all sending prayers your way. p.s. came here thru Mcmommy's Twitter.

crunchiemummy said...

I just found your blog and wanted to let you know that I'm also cheering for you. You seem very strong so I know you will indeed kick this cancer's ass or arse as we say in the UK!

Wendi said...

Nothing like having your surgeon as your BFF!
That is great.
Love that he is optimistic...even better.
Hope you had a great weekend with your family.

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara