Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My (stupid) Journey with Cancer

This post is mainly for me.

I want to be able to look back in a year and see how much I have gone through.

I want to see how much stronger this stupid cancer has made me.

I plan to update it regularly as I make this stupid journey. I think I will put it as a link on the side.

I would love it if you left a positive comment for me. This helps me in two ways:
1-when ever I come in to update this I will be able to read all the wonderful comments, and
2-I love comments:)

See, it's a win-win situation:)

2/11/10- MRI came back clear, PET scan showed a 1.4 cm mass of melanoma in the left hip region, go here and here, also had incision checked since it still has not healed. Apparently new skin has grown up and is not allowing the incision to close. Nurse place silver nitrate on the new skin to get rid of some of the new skin.

2/10/10- returned to MD Anderson for PET scans and MRI of brain

12/9/09- incision became infected, went to ER, started antibotics, came back as E Coli

12/2/09- surgery to remove tumor in left thigh area

11/11/09-MDA PET scan and MRI, MRI was clean, PET showed that the remaining tumor was growing, no new spots on PET, Dr found a mole on my skin, and wanted it removed. Came back clean.

9/09- surgery to remove tumor in right thigh area

8/5-8/12 leave for MD Anderson for 6th and LAST round of chemo!!! go here for Dr visit

8/4 labs

7/31 labs

7/28 labs

7/15 leave for Houston; 5th round of chemo; go here; and here; go here

7/10 labs and appt with Dr Moore Jr

7/6 labs

7/2 labs

6/22- 9am labs, 10am chest xray, 11am Dr Bedikian, afternoon-admission to hospital for 4th round of chemo; go here

6/21-leave for MD Anderson
6/19-labs

6/16-labs

6/12- labs

June 9th- labs WBC at a 45!, hemoglobin at a 8.43, if it gets below an 8 will have to have transfusion

June 5th labs, WBC at a 1.3

May 27th- Appt with oncologist, one mass is gone, 3 masses remain, hard to compare size because first PET was done in Wichita and 2nd was done at MD, hospitalized for tx

May 26th-PET scan and MRI, MRI totally freaked me out, PET scan was a lot of wasted time waiting

May 25th- leave for MD Anderson via flight out of OKC

May 22nd- labs and appt with oncologist in town, worthless appt

May 19th labs

May 15th- labs

May 12th -labs

May 4th-10th- Hospitialized for chemo treatments

May 3rd- Family held fundraiser, $3000 raised! Left for MD Anderson via Corporate Angels

May 1st-labs

April 28th- Blood clot in arm, started Lovanox shots twice a day, 64 units, had to have CVC removed, it will be replaced on Monday at MD Anderson

April 13th-19th- Chemo in hospital, bad side effects, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness

April 13th- Blood work at 8am, CVC placed, appt with Dr Bedikian, admittance to hospital for at least 5 days

April 12th- Drove to Ponca City and caught a flight with the Corporate Angels, caught a ride to hotel with Ground Angels

April 8th- ECHO and stress test, drove home

April 7th- chest xray and PFT

April 6th- Appts at MD Anderson, 9:00 meet with Dr Bedikian, blood work, appt for introduction of my Central Venous Catheter

April 5th- Drove to Houston, TX.

April 3- PET scan at 5:45 AM

April 2-Appt with Dr Moore Jr. agreed that the Interferon wasn't working. He did not feel that any of the treatments in Wichita are what we need. He suggested we head to MD Anderson. I called MD as we left the office and left a message. Anita called back and they are able to get us into MD Anderson on Monday. Have to head back to Cancer Center for CT scan at 1pm.

March 31-87th shot, pathology report came in, all 3 spots are melanoma, appt set up at Cancer Center of America in Tulsa. Still waiting for nurse to fax paperwork to MD Anderson

March 28th- 86th shot

March 26th-85th shot, had spots removed, Dr felt they were probably maligant melanoma, should get the results early next week

March 25th-Appt with dermatologist, wants spot on the back and two lumps on the front removed, will do that tomorrow

March 24th- 84th shot

March 21st-83rd shot

March 19th-82nd shot

March 18th-sonogram on shoulder, tech thought it was cysts not blood clots

March 17th-81st shot, appt with Dr. Neidre for lumps

March 15th-Found one lump under my skin near my shoulder and another lump on the right side of my chest.

March 14th-80th shot

March 12th-79th shot, appt with Dr, talked about muscle pain-Dr suggested going off treatment for a week, but I told him no, gave prescription for 800 mg Ibuprofren to help with muscle pain, talked about pulmonary hypertension, may schedule an echo at next Dr's appt so that we have a baseline.

March 10th-78th shot

March 7th-77th shot

March 5th- 76th shot, appt with Dr- Dr had emergency so had to reschedule

March 3-75th shot, fatigue, muscle pain, labs done today, WBC were 4.3, RBC were 3.8, platelets look good

Feb 28th-74th shot

Feb 26th-73rd shot, muscle pain. Bruising where I am getting the shots on my right arm. Have become allergic to the adhesive on the bandaids.

Feb 24th-72nd shot, really tired, muscles are really sore, talked to nurse Alta about the increase in fatigue and apparently that is normal. I guess the longer I am on Interferon the more tired I will get. Great! I am only halfway done. By August all I will do is sleep!

Feb 21st-71st shot, tired (2/23-I am so tired today. I slept pretty well last night, yet I am so tired I can't keep my eyes open!)

Feb 19th-70th shot

Feb 17th- 69th shot, tired, grouchy

Feb 14th-68th shot

Feb 12th-67th shot

Feb 10th-66th shot, tired, nauseus, thirsty

Feb 8th-6 MORE MONTHS OF TREATMENT!!! HALFWAY DONE!!

Feb 7th-65th shot

Feb 5th-64th shot, tired, had a hard time sleeping last night, still sick, coughing up lots of gunk. Trying to drink lots of fluid.

Feb. 3rd-63rd shot, tired , have a cold from our trip. Probably should have brought a mask, but didn't think about that.

Jan 31sts-skipped shot because we were in Wisconsin.

Jan 29th-62nd shot, is that really possible? 62 shots? That sucks.

Jan 27th-61st shot, Cody is out of town, I'm on my own. Haven't been sleeping well lately. Kids have been really good even though I am tired. This weekend we have to go to a funeral in Milwaukee so I am going to have to skip my shot on Saturday. This will push my treatment back 2 days:( The nurse said I can't do two shots in a row, however I did a month long IV treatment of Interferon, 4 weeks in a row, 5 days in a row, so I am not sure why I can't do two shots in a row, but whatever.

Jan 24th- 60th shot

Jan. 22nd-59th shot, had to bring both kids with me to treatment today. They were good though. Kyler even pottied in the potty at the cancer center! Yay!

Jan 20th-58th shot, nauseus, tired

Jan 17th-57th shot

Jan 15th-56th shot

Jan 13th-55th shot, Ella is sick so she is home from MDO, tired, nauseus

Jan 10th-54th shot, tired

Jan. 8th-53rd shot

Jan. 6th-52nd shot-7 more months of treatment left! Almost halfway!

Jan. 3rd-52nd shot

Dec. 31st-51st shot

Dec. 30th-CT scan on abdomen. I have been feeling lumps on and off in my stomach and so a CT scan was scheduled. Results came back normal. The Dr thought it was just food moving through my intestines and since I have lost so much weight I can actually feel it.

Dec. 29th-50th shot

Dec. 27th-49th shot, nauseus this morning. Took some Zofran. CT scan results came back, showed no abnormalities.

Dec. 24th-48th shot, nauseus. I am so tired of nauseus around the holidays. Had to take Reglan and Zofran all week.

Dec. 22nd-47th shot, headache

Dec. 20th-46th shot

Dec. 19th-CT scan of brain

Dec. 18th-45th shot

Dec. 16th-44th shot, headache

Dec. 13th-43rd shot, headache, tired, some nausea

Dec. 11th-42nd shot, Dr appt, told him about headaches so he ordered a CT scan just to be safe, kindey function and liver function looked good

Dec. 9th-41st shot, nauseus, tired, labs, WBC-3.5-still low, RBC-low, platelets- 191-ok

Dec. 6th-40th shot, nauseus, headache

Dec 4th-39th shot

Dec. 2nd-37th shot , headache

Nov. 29th- 36th shot, would have stayed at my parents house another day, but had to come back for my shot. I hate having to rearrange my life around my shots.

Nov. 26th- 35th shot,

Nov. 24th- 34th shot, went in at 8:30 so I didn't have to wait forever!

Nov. 22nd-33rd shot

Nov. 20th- 32nd shot, appt with Dr. Moore today, approached for a trial, but Dr said it could weaken the affects of the Interferon, have lost 12 lbs, Dr isn't worried about weight loss or hair loss, talked to him about possibly being depressed, he felt it was probably more exhaustion-told me to get some sleep and see if that helps (it did!)

Nov. 18th- 31st shot-labs today-WBC are up a little bit-3.6, red blood cells are still low, platelets are good

Nov. 15th- 30th shot

Nov. 13th- 29th shot

Nov. 11th-28th shot, so tired. I can sleep all night and I still wake up exhausted! MIL thinks I could be dealing with a bit of depression. I think I'm just plain tired! Cody is in St Louis all week so it's just me with the kids. Exhausting!

Nov. 8th-27th shot

Nov. 6th-26th shot, Kyler's birthday!

Nov. 4th- 25th shot, really tired

Nov 1st-24th shot, everyone has flu at our house, nauseous and tired

Oct 30th-23rd shot, Nurse didn't get all the meds in so I had to be poked twice! Took the kids to the zoo afterwards.

Oct 28th- 22nd shot

Oct 25th-21st shot, nausea today

Oct 23rd- 20th shot

Oct 21st-Nineteenth shot. Light headed and dizzy today. Very tired.

Oct 20th- Appt with dermatologist to have a skin check. All looks good. Totally freaks me out when the Dr or a nurse asks me what my prognosis is. Ummm, I'm assuming I'm going to make it. Otherwise, why in the hell am I going through chemo! I fully intend on kicking cancer's ass. I have no other choice. I have two babies that need their mom. So I guess the next time someone asks what my prognosis is, I will tell them I am kicking cancer's ass right now so I guess my prognosis is pretty damn good!

Oct 18th- Eighteenth shot

Oct 16th- Seventeenth shot and appt with Dr. Discussed coralation between trying to do much and getting sick.

Oct 14th- Sixteenth shot and labs. WBC and RBC were low. That definitately accounts for some of my fatigue.

Oct 11th-Fifteenth shot

Oct 9th-Fourteenth shot

Oct 7th-Thirteenth shot. Had to take Reglan this weekend. Tired.

Oct. 4th-Twelfth shot.

Oct. 2nd-Eleventh shot. Still feeling good. Headaches but no nausea! Fatigue is getting better.

Sept 30th- Tenth shot. No more nausea! Headaches, but could be from allergies.

Sept 27th- Ninth shot. Went in early for shot so we could head to KC afterwards.

Sept. 25th- Eighth shot. Daddy is still gone. Tired, nausea. Friday-feeling pretty good. Was able to take a nap. Hopefully the nausea will go away now that I have been on lower doses for a week.
Sept. 23rd-Seventh shot. Daddy is gone and mommy is on her own!

Sept 20th- Sixth shot. Major headaches. Some nausea. Took some Zofran and I felt much better.

Sept 18th- Fifth shot. Appt with oncologist today. Asked about side effects. Main ones are nausea and fatigue. He agreed that I could not go on like this for the next 11 months so he lowered my dose of Interferon to half what I was getting. In stead of 18 million units I am now getting 9 millions units per shot. I have a splitting headache but so far no nausea (knock on wood!) He also gave me a perscription for Zofran. Luckily, my insurance covers most of it because they are about $100 a pill! Yikes! It only cost me $1 per pill. Chem panel and CBC came back and everything is looking good. Liver tests came back great. Whew, all that drinking in college isn't hurting me now!

Sept 17th- Appt with surgeon today to have 2 moles removed from my back. He went ahead and removed 3 since it was right there and I already numb. Back is sore now.

Sept 16th-Fourth shot. Dang it that hurt! I'm not a big fan of shots anyway and these suckers hurt! It's not the poke that hurts, its when they push the meds in. Ouch!
Tired and nauseous. Daddy is gone until Wednesday night so I am on my own. Better suck it up huh!

Sept 13th-Third shot. Not to bad. Saturdays I am able to get in and out pretty quickly. That's nice!

*Sept 12th-Feeling pretty good today also. Nauseous but took some Reglan. Now I'm just sleepy. Cody should be home this afternoon. Yay! Legs are a little achy. Going to take some ibuprofren and see if that helps.

*September 11th- Second day of shot treatment. The shot itself hurt like heck. Got it in my stomach. Ouch! Side effect wise I did pretty good. I was up from 7AM until 10:30PM without a nap. Of course this was not by choice, but you do what you gotta do.

*September 9th-First day of shot treatment. Feeling ok, just tired. Forgot to take Tylenol before treatment, luckily did ok with taking Tylenol right before shot. Talked to Nurse about WBC being so low, she said it is normal and nothing to worry about.

*September 5th- Twentieth day of treatment. This is it! No more IV Interferon-WOO HOO!

*September 4th- Nineteenth day of treatment. Pretty good day. Tired. Labs, dr appt and treatment today. White Blood Cells are low-3.3. Need to improve diet! Waited in Drs office for 2.5 hours. Set up shots to be done at injection station. Hopefully can get that moved to Cancer Center-would be much quicker!

*September 3rd-Eighteenth day of treatment. So far, so good. No achiness, just tired. Thank heavens today was better then yesterday. Could not have done that again. No nausea this morning. Reglan did wonders. Usually I wake up feeling nauseous, but I feel pretty good this morning. What a nice (and welcomed) change!

*September 2nd-Seventeenth day of treatment. Bad day. Achy arms, nausea, headaches. Gave me Reglan through IV. Seemed to help with nausea. Knocked me out. I actually slept during treatment-first time for that.

*September 1st- Sixteenth day of treatment. Last week of IV treatment. Pretty good weekend. Had to take nausea medicine all weekend, but felt pretty good. Treatment in the morning, we will see how I feel the rest of the day.

*August 29th-Fifteenth day of treatment. Nausea. The Aloxi just doesn't cut it anymore. The nurses think it is because I have so much of the Interferon in my system.

*August 28th-Fourteenth day of treatment. Nausea, headaches, fatigue. Arms and legs were achy at night. Tried the Lidocaine patches but didn't work. Got up, cleaned house, took a shower, and some Unisome. Slept until 9AM. Usually keep the IV in M-W, Th-F, however had her take it out because it was hurting. Nurse thinks she is right up along the wall of the vein. Ouch!

*August 27th-Thirteenth day of treatment. Major headache. Had to take Phenergan for nausea. Really tired.

*August 26th- Twelfth day of treatment. Major headache. Some nausea, had to take Phenergan.

*August 25th-Eleventh day of treatment. Dr appt today. Have lost a couple of pounds due to lack of appetite. Bloodwork came back ok. Major headache. Lots of nausea this weekend. Did Aloxi today for nausea. Went down to 12.5 mg of Benadryl in hope that my arms and legs won't be as achy. Last night did Lidocaine patches on my legs for the aching and that seemed to help.

*August 22nd-Tenth day of treatment. Halfway point!! Switched nausea medicine to see if that is the reason my arms are so achy (it wasn't-still got achy). Ended up needing Phenagren (nausea med) when I got home. Had to take it every day this weekend. Awful headaches.

*August 21st-Ninth day of treatment. Tired and kind of dizzy feeling. Talked to nurses about achy feeling and we are going to try something different for the nausea tomorrow. Feeling pretty good, esp compared to yesterday.

*August 20th-Eighth day of treatment. Bad, bad day. Very sick in the morning, had to take nausea medicine. Treatment made my arms and legs very achy. Came home and slept from 6PM until 8AM. Must have needed sleep.

*August 19th- Seventh day of treatment. Tired, so very tired. Little dizzy. 25 mg of Benadryl.

*August 18th- Sixth day of treatment. Had lab work and appt with oncologist today. Labs came back fine. Arms are very achy from the medicine. Such an annoying pain. Can't get my arms to stop aching.

*August 15th- Fifth day of treatment. 25 mg of Benadryl, got my dose of Aloxi (nausea medicine), less saline solution because my stomach is so bloated, hurt to breathe because of all the fluid that is being injected into my system. Ugggg! What an awful feeling. Little bit of dizziness and headaches. So tired. I was actually able to take a nap today without the aid of sleep medicine. That was nice. Will be asking for a prescription sleep med on Monday at Dr appt.

*August 14th- Fourth day of treatment. Only had 25 mg of Benadryl with a constant IV drip. Had to restick me today since the nurse removed the stint yesterday. Was very tired in the morning. Did ok for a couple of hours, then hit rock bottom. Really dizzy and light headed. Tummy is really upset. Fever has been right around 99.5. Very achy. Back and neck hurt like they are bruised. They aren't-Cody checked. Hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight.

*August 13th- Third day of treatment. Only had 25 mg of Benadryl instead of 50. Kept me on a constant IV of saline. I feel much better tonight then I did yesterday. Little dizzy and light headed. Tummy is a little upset. No desire to eat anything. Really tired but haven't been able to sleep. Apparently insomnia is a side effect of Interferon. Fever of 100.5 this morning.

*August 12th-Second day of treatment. The Benadryl made me really sick. Apparently I didn't have enough water before I went to treatment. I got really dizzy, the room started spinning, and I felt sick. They gave me saline through the IV for awhile and that seemed to help. Came home and went straight to bed. I had the shakes-bad. My back and neck hurt really bad because I was shaking so bad. Can't sleep because of this awful headache. Still really tired but seem to have insomnia. This sucks!

*August 11th- First treatment is today. There has been a lot of crying today. Most while I have been at the Cancer Center. Side effects: So far I am just really tired. They gave me a lot of Benadryl, nausea medicine, Tylenol, and the Interferon. Totally drugged. Just want to sleep.

*August 4th-Set up treatments. I will begin August 11th. I will go in every week day at 2pm for the next four weeks to have an IV of Interferon. The treatment will last around 2 hours. I have some mixed emotions about all of this. But that is for another post.

*July 31st-Appt with oncologist-PET scan came back clear! YAY! The cancer has not spread. This is SUPER news! If it had spread it would not be a good situation. We discussed treatment options and really Interferon is the only way to go. We have to get rid of all cancer cells that may still be floating around in my body. 3 things showed up on the PET scan. My shin showed some type of bruise-big surprise I run into things all the time! My boobs lit up since I am still breastfeeding. That's pretty cool! And there were two moles on my back that showed up as developing into melanoma at some point. (I already have an appt scheduled with the surgeon to have those removed in Sept.)

*July 30th- Follow up appt with surgeon. Healing well. He went ahead and removed the two moles on my stomach. Surgeon called for CT and PET scan results. CT results came in while I was still there-It was clear!! YAY!

*July 29th-Had blood drawn this morning. Appt with Dermatologist this afternoon to have 2 moles removed on my stomach. Dermatologist refused to remove moles. Did not feel they were anything to worry about.

*July 28th-Had PET scan. Radioactive Glucose was injected into my body. Had to remain completely still for an hour an a half. It felt like FOR.EV.ER!

*July 25th-Had CT scan.

*July 24th-Met with oncologist. Wants me to have a CT scan and PET scan. He did not feel the cancer had spread but wants to make sure. If it has not spread I will start on a treatment plan of Interferon.

*July 21st- Surgeon called with test results. That's way to quick. The big mass of lymph nodes tested positive for melanoma, as did the one closest to it. The big mass was actually 3 lymph nodes that joined together to fight off the cancer. Most of the mass was fluid. Surgeon felt like we caught it right before it started to spread. Imagine if I would have gone in last year when I first found that stupid spot!

*July 18th-Had surgery. More was removed from the spot on my calf to check for melanoma and 6 lymph nodes were removed. Dr did not feel that the huge mass was cancerous. He sent all the lymph nodes off for testing. Will call when he gets the results. He said a longer wait was better.

*July 16th-Met with surgeon. Loved him. He was very positive. He did not feel that it had spread. Even said we could wait until August to have the surgery. I did not feel comfortable with that. Set the surgery up for Friday to have the lymph nodes in my groin removed.

*July 15th-Results came back. It was positive for Stage IV Melanoma. Dermatologist set up appts for me to visit with a surgeon and an oncologist.

*July 8th-Finally went to that appt with the dermatologist. He looked at the spot on my calf and predicted it was melanoma cancer. He removed the spot and sent it to a pathologist to look at.

90 comments:

Val said...

Okay, found your blog through McMommy...which I just happened to stumble upon.

Just want to say, CONGRATS for kicking cancer's a**!!!

Good luck on your journey, and here's to many more wonderful times with those two beautiful babies!

Leslie said...

Sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers all the way from Santiago, Chile. When you don't feel like you can smile anymore, come on over and I'll share one of mine with you. When you think you are all alone, read some of your comments. From those I've read, you have a tremendous amount of support. From those that know and love you, and those of us who are in awe of your strength. We are cheering you on! Go team Heather!

Kristen said...

I too can't wait to read about how far your journey is going to go!

I just know that you are for sure going to kick cancer's A**!

Continuesly praying.....

amanda said...

what a journey friend...

still right by your side cheering you on!! and as always sending hugs and prayers :)

Liam said...

I am officially lighting a candle for you... Above all it's your positive attitude which it is READILY apparent you have that will sustain you. Never lose it.

Kerry said...

What a journey it has already been. May the journey ahead of you be as easy and quick as possible. Team Heather is behind you all the way! If you need anything on your (stupid) journey don't hesitate to ask!

Chelle said...

Heather, I am going to be by your side through all of this! We are all going to support you in kicking cancer's a$$!
You are such a strong, amazing, inspirational woman. I am touched you have decided to share all of this with us.
Big (((hugs))) and know you are loved, girl!

Clare said...

you have already been through so much, and you are soooo strong! you are such a wonderful mom and wife! i am so glad that you had such wonderful news from the PET scan!!! sending bloggy love!

Mamasphere said...

Look at everything you've been through in less than a month! I'm actually pretty impressed with your medical team. And with you. You have stayed so strong through this.

Sarah said...

You have a some struggle ahead, but you will make it through. I love your positive attitude and it is ok if you don't feel like being miss happy all the time. Your dealing with more than most people will in their lives.
I see I have an email from you, I am off to check it.
Have a great week.

duchess said...

Stay strong and faithful. You were meant to have this journey for some reason. Just keep appreciating your life & your little ones.
Hugs & prayers from NC.

Ellie Grace and Bennett said...

I had a Pepsi today (a fully loaded one) and thought about you! Happy Wednesday.

Beav's Wife said...

Sending you lots of love, hugs, thoughts and prayers... Gonna keep on lovin' Pepsi just for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel like you are going through this journey alone, we are right there beside you all the way. We could not love you any more than we already do. We pray for you everyday.
Your family,
Mom, Dad, Jacki, Chris, Adam, Cherie

Jenny said...

sending thoughts and prayers while you on this journey...I just love the pic of you and Ella. So sweet!

Jennifer said...

I love your attitude! I also love that not only are you fighting this battle with cancer, you are also trying to save the world by cloth diapers - You are so cool! Try to keep your spirits up over the next month. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Christy said...

I am really interested in learning more about the spot you found on the back of your leg. What did it look like? Was it a hard mass?

Lewis Family said...

Keep up the positive attitude! Keep huging your beautiful kids and husband!! This cancer doesn't stand a chance!!!

Jamie said...

I am doing a 60 mile walk (yes, I typed that correctly) this weekend to fight breast cancer. I firmly believe if we can find a cure to one type of cancer it will lead to a cure for all types of cancers. This walk literally raises millions of dollars. It will take me 3 days to do all 60 miles, but I will be thinking of you as I walk. I don't even know you, but I continue to pray for you.

Jamie

shanan said...

You need 3 things:
1. God/prayer
2. A positive attitude
3. Family/Friends

That my dear is a recipe for success!

Now go on and kick that cancer's a**!

beth said...

I will be praying for you as you continue on this journey.

You will kick cancers a**!

Tiffany said...

You are doing amazing - You have been so proactive and have done everything to positively impact your future!

You are courageous and your are a fighter - I have no doubt that you will continue forward victoriously and that this will be a "blip" in your life story - Don't get me wrong - it is a darn significant "blip", but there is much life beyond this to be lived!

Jamie said...

If you get a chance, check out my blog today. I talk a bit about the walk to end cancer!! I THINK that once you are completely better YOU should do this too!!!!

www.theblissfullyhappyhousewife.blogspot.com

Jamie

amanda said...

I agree...cancer is STUPID!! But you have everything on your side. You're young, you caught it early, and the doctors are being aggressive. You can beat this awful disease and win. I will pray for you.
I know our prayers are answered.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Prayers and warm wishes---you are stronger and will kick cancer's a** :)

Formercitygirl said...

I'm sending prayers and good wishes your way. You will beat this thing.

mommyandmeboutique said...

I am so sorry about the cancer you are having to deal with. You are so young and your children are young. But it seems we can not choose the time for the difficulties we go for Your family are in my prayers and I pray for your day to day strength and courage to do what you have to do to take care of yourself and your family.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I came here the other day for the first time and read about your cancer, for some reason I decided to check back tonight...I am glad I did.

You can do this and you will beat this disease, I was looking at a grim prognosis about 9 years ago...27yrs old and diagnosed with stage III Ovarian Cancer....it wasn't pretty and it was a long tough road. I fought hard and the chemo was no picnic in the park, but I am living proof that it can be done, you can beat this disease....I just had my check up last month and I have now been cancer free for 8 years.

I wish you lots of luck and will pray that you remain free of any cancer.

Lisa

Patrice said...

This is sucha great idea! A year from now, when this is all behind you, you will be so glad you chronicled this stupid journey! It is stupid, I agree! It's stupid that this is happening to you && it's stupid you have to go through this. But Cancer will be the stupid one for thinking it can defeat you. Cheering for Team Heather, all the way!
Can't wait 'till you kick cancer to the curb for good!

JSue said...

My daughters (2 & 5) and I pray for you before bed each night. There's nothing sweeter than the prayers of a child.

May the Lord continue to bless you...

Lisa said...

You've come a long ways in a short time! Your attitude seems bright & the outcomes are going to be even brighter.

Could you play dermatologist for all of us and let us know what is it about the moles that made you suspicious? What should the rest of us be looking for? What level of sunscreen do they recommend you use? Any other advice!

Keep kickin' girl! Sending prayers!

Name: The Bryant Family said...

I've been reading your blog (as seen on McMommy). Cancer sucks. But I can't help but feel anything but positive for you - you really are kicking cancer's a$$ !!!!

cancersucks said...

cancer sucks.......but, you go girl!! Here for you if you need me...fellow one year cancer survivor.

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

I know it can't have been easy to actually sit and write out the journey that seems like forever but started such a short time ago, but I'm sure it was therapeutic too.

You are doing GREAT! You are currently CANCER FREE!!!

And, you are going to do whatever you need to do to keep it that way!

I know we're all going to be reading Happy Birthday Month posts for your kids for a LONG time to come.

You are very well loved, Miss Heather!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

You have a team!
You have cheerleaders!
Almost as important ~ you have a major attitude and medical staff that you trust. GO TEAM BBBGPP!!!

I must admit that I was a teeny bit jealous when you mentioned that your boobs lit up :) Now everybody's gonna wish theirs did.

Kelli said...

Life really throws some curve balls sometimes, doesn't it? But you've already hit one right outta the park!

Sending positive vibes and smiles your way for those days when you need an extra pick me up! Chocolate always works well too. :) But nothing beats snuggles from the kiddos. Your children are beautiful and they are blessed to have such a strong mama who is kicking cancer's you know what!

You go, girl!!!

McMommy said...

Look at you go!! Tomorrow you will begin kicking all those nasty cancer cells that may be floating around your body out to the CURB!! Good riddance to them!

Go Team Heather!!

Jen said...

This is a fantastic idea (I mean the situation itself stinks, but at least you will be able to keep track of how you systematically destroyed every last trace of this cancer). Good luck today with your first treatment.

The Daniel Family said...

Thinking of you positively and often. I hope you are imagining what your life will be like after all this stuff is over (ie...even better than before!!!). Good luck, and kisses and hugs to your babies!

Anonymous said...

I found you through "loving our simple life". I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer 3 years ago. I was only given a 30% chance to live. Here I am 3 years later. With alot of pryers I kicked cancers butt also....If ever you think you can't go on,just remember you are in my pryers. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Cancer free and staying that way! We should all have shirts made...front TEAM HEATHER...back...Kicking Cancers @ss since July 2008. : )

Keeping you and yours in our family's thoughts and prayers.

Marci Bell

Pearls To Hide My Neck said...

I've been following your blog and just want you to know there's another person out there thinking about you daily. I've not had cancer but both my Mom and Dad have. The treatments are so awful and I can't imagine trying to do it with little ones. Wish I could do something to help you out. Nothing I can "type" will make it better but just know I'm at least sending positive thoughts, ha!

Cindy said...

Hi Heather! I found your blog by clicking "discover" on my Google Reader. I'm so glad I did!

You and your family will be in my prayers. You have come so far since your diagnosis, and I have no doubt that you will completely kick cancer's a$$. No doubt whatsoever.

I will be back!

MO Mom-Bo said...

Heather -

I found your blog through McMommy, and want you to know I will be coming back every day until you kick this Melanoma A**hole to the curb!! During our errands today, Little Dude and I will stop by church and light a candle for you, and I'll make sure you are included in bedtime prayers tonight. Keep the faith, girlfriend - we're all pulling for you!

Kim

Jen :) said...

Hey lady! I just wanted to send you a little message to let you know that I am thinking of you all the time! We have started inservice this week and they are so boring so I have just skipped out so I could check out your blog today! Miss ya! Take care and hang in there!

SaraMomofmany said...

Hi there, I came across your website looking up on google not being near kids after a PET scan as my sister is going to have one next week, and they told her not to for 24 hours, anyways, I'm sorry you are going through this. And with such young children. I have 5 young children myself, and can't imagine how difficult this would be.

Are you still able to breastfeed with the meds?? I didn't see anywhere mentioned that you had to wean, just pump and dump after PET scan.

My prayers are with you Mama. Kick that cancer's butt, and kick it hard!!

Deborah said...

This is the first time I've visited your blog and I want you to know I'm going to be on this journey with you. Congrats for kicking cancer in the butt! Hit it strong - I'll be cheering you on!

Amy said...

Just found your story through a friend of yours who has a friend that is a friend of mine. ;-) My melanoma story has only just begun... and I hope it ends soon! You can read about it here

http://amysfinerthings.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/my-new-ugly-scar/

and here

http://amysfinerthings.wordpress.com/2008/08/11/melanoma/

Your kids are beautiful and it looks like you have quite the fan club. ;-) Thank you for sharing your story.

pretty portajohn said...

Found you blog... don't really remember how, I think the CF Husband...
I had stage 3 Melanoma, and wanted to encourage you in your journey! It seems as if you are kicking the heck out of it! Good for you!
I found out about the cancer when my son was 6 months old and it totally rocked my world.
Keep on kicking its butt and I wish you all the best!!!

Anna said...

"Life isn't about surviving the storm, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

A quote on the "Kathy's Krew" team t-shirts at the OROC (OutRun Ovarian Cancer) 5K run this past weekend.

I thought you might enjoy it and give you something to shoot for!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a friend of a freind of a friend.....anyway I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you!!!! I watched my mom battle cancer for 5yrs. and I can't even imagine going through all the pain, nausea ect. while at the same time staying strong for your family and being there for them. It sounds like you have great Drs and support system. Keep kicking cancer in the a**! You are totally inspiring, you can do it!!!

amanda said...

You are almost there. And you are strong. Hang in there.

Emily Lauren said...

Hi. My name is Emily. I found your blog from Wendi and I must admit, I'm hooked. I'm so sorry you are going through what you are w/ this "stupid cancer." I'll be praying and asking God to help you make it through w/ no more pain, headaches, insomnia, nausea, etc.
May your life be full of peace, joy, and happiness.
I'll continue to follow your journey.
Bless you my dear.

Mary Franks said...

Hi my name is Mary and a friend sent me the link to your blog. I am 38 and have been currently diagnoised with DCIS, stage zero breast cancer. I will soon begin radiation after having 2 surgeries to remove the lump and affected tissue. I really enjoyed reading you blog so far and will continue tomorrow when it's not so late and I'm not seeing double. LOL I wish you well and I look forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

Foundyour blog via another. I now think of you often and wanted you to know thought and prayers are with you. You will beat this!

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Hi... I just found your blog.. um... not even sure how. Just wanted you to know that I'm rooting for ya!!

Wendy said...

I'm new to the blogging world and found you via a friends blog. Congrats on your recent good news for your battle against cancer! Your strength is inspiring.

Tami in MT said...

I just found your blog from a comment left on MckMama's blog - hope you don't mind! Just wanted to say that I'm praying for you and a happy ending - sounds like you're well on your way!! Yea! Melanoma is near and dear to my heart. We lost my 36 year old sister in law to it 4 years ago. I'm glad to see it being overcome! You're awesome! Hang in there!
-Tami

Me said...

I'm overcome with emotion! My heart is in my stomach. The fact that you have to endure this while watching those two sweet baby beings in your life, while you're wondering, worrying, hoping, and praying... God bless your beautiful soul, strength, and attitude through this! It's inspiring! I am sending thoughts and prayer for you and your family. Prayers that you'll be looking back on this in the many years to come while sending your babies off to college! God bless you!

Kendra ;) said...

I am a special education teacher too!
I just had my first son and joined the blogoshpere...your story is inspiring. You sound like one tough cookie! You are in my prayers!

Heather said...

I found you through the McMommy Chronicles. My name is Heather and I too have a "spot" on the back of my leg that I have put off getting looked at. I now am making an appt tomorrow to have it checked...thank you for your inspiration. I give you all the credit in the world for your outlook on this unplanned journey. Your children are amazing & beautiful and your hubby sounds great. Good luck and thanks for showing us that this stupid cancer will not win!!!

The Glamorous WAHM said...

Hey girl! I'm sending you my prayers and love. May you be a testimony of God's greatness! He will see you through. I'm praying for your family too! You can email me anytime! Cyber hugs and kisses!

Dawn said...

My sister Amanda (littleturds.blogspot.com) introduced me to your blog. I have been following your journey with this darn cancer.
I love your attitude! You will win this battle - because of your desire and determination (and your sweet little family) - you WILL win this battle.

Chandra said...

Again, I found your blog through Nugen Family Adventures (Tricia is the best!!), all I can say is fight the good fight! Stay strong and kick cancers ASS because you have so much to live for! My mother just had a double Mastectomy on Thursday, and my sister is a breast cancer survior...so it's all around me...so stay strong for those adorable kids!!

Heather said...

That's great about the Smith thing--my middle name is Lea though, so we're safe hehe. I was wondering how I can get a "Team Heather" graphic on my site? My daughter was a ladybug for her 2nd Halloween--love the costume!!!I'm thinking and praying for you!!

Misty Rice-Baniewicz said...

Found you through MckMommys blog too. I am sorry to hear about your cancer ordeal. Not fun. I am dealing with some of that myself. I had a mole removed off my right calf and it came back A-typical with signs of turning into cancer. I had to go back in and have it cut out deeper and not it looks like a purple lump (not pretty) on my calf.

Just 3 weeks ago I had to go in and have Mohs surgery on the Basil Cancer on my forehead. That was a crazy procedure, considering I stayed away through both of them.

Anyways, I will keep you in my prayers ....... I joke around and say I am going to die of cancer. Now that I have actually had cancer removed from my body and suspicous spots removed from me each year. No one thinks it is as funny.

They found another mole on the left side of my tummy and removed it. I got the call back a couple days ago saying that it was not yet precancer, but the cells where changing under the microscope and so now I have to go in next wednesday for them to cut more if it out. I know what you mean by all the shots and cutting....UGH!!!!

Praying for you girl. Praying!!!!

Noob Mommy said...

Hi there! I also wandered here through McMommy. I hope you're feeling well and doing great. I'll be following for all the *happy* updates!

Noob Mommy
www.noobmommy.com

Michelle said...

You are my hero. I too came through McMommy. I have three small children and I am making a dermatologist appointment on Monday. I owe it to them. I am scared. But, you give me strength.

Sending you every positive vibe I own.

liz said...

My sister told me to check out your blog. I am a mother of 3 small children and undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Yes, we have a lot to live for. Our faith can save us: "And whatever you ask for in prayer, having faith and (really) believing, you will receive....Matthew 21:22. God understands our worries and knows the strength and beliefs in our hearts....I send you strong, positive thoughts - You are going to make it.

MOMMY-MOMO said...

I just came across this blog. It just breaks my heart. you have the right attitude! Positive thinking is the best thing you can do. My thoughts and prayers are with you. lots of mommies support here. will be checking back to see your progress and how much better you get :)

MOMMY-MOMO said...

another question...I to am 30. how did you know you had this? what were your signs? i need to be educated on this...

Chelle said...

Hey girl, just wanted to tell you that you are AWESOME!

I admire your strength, your determination and your positive attitude!

Molly said...

Oh My Goodness! You have been through a lot! It makes my once every two week treatments seem like a walk in the park.

Praying for you!

Molly

Liz said...

Found you through Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog). I will be praying for you and sending you all of the postive thoughts I can!

Shea said...

I just want you to know that I love you and I think about you often. Put a smile on that beautiful face and know that I am praying for you.

Nancy said...

Sending Prayer and Positive Thoughts to you. Keep kicking cancer's ass. I'm going to subscribe to your blog to watch you beat it. It was amazing to read your fight post. It's really an eye opener into what you're having to go through.

I also wanted to send you hugs. You seem like a wonderful person and mom.

Your children are beautiful.

3 Peanuts said...

I just found your blog and I will pray that you do kick this cancer's ***!.

hang int here. it sounds like you are 1/2 way through the interferon. I had to take similar stuff a frw years ago when they thought I had MS. it sucks.

A friend of mine had the same cancer as you and did the interferon for a year and she is FINE now!!! She has two kiddos too.

laurentius5 said...

found your blog through KEEP BELIEVING. keep up the good work on kickin' its butt! thoughts and prayers your way.

Nancy said...

I hope by "skipping" a shot maybe you'll get a short reprieve from the nausea? Still cheering you on!

The Roaming Southerner said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am still cheering you on!

Anonymous said...

My Name is Jo.. I have been living with stage 4 melanoma for a year now.. been through a ton, as you have.. you are an insperation to me.. would love to be able to e-mail with you.. if you are willing.. I do not have a blog but you can e-mail me at wandacates@gmail.com in light and love.. JoJo and the wonderdog Anka....

Hope said...

I wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. I know how hard it is to stay positive sometimes. You're doing great!!

Rebecca Louise. said...

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes their way! You can do this!!! X.

Nancy said...

You're a remarkably strong woman to be able to say no to taking a week off of treatments. I'm imagining it was hard to say no to a week of relief. But you're getting so close!

You're doing so well! Hang in there. I hope the ibuprofen works and you get some relief from the pain.

Stacy Brown said...

Hi Heather!!
I am sooo proud of you! You are doing an awesome job at kicking this cancer's booty!! Keep your head up, stay strong and do what you gotta do to get through each day. If you ever need anything just call me. I mean that. You are such a fun and free spirit! Smile, you're almost there!! :)

Love Ya!

Stacy Brown

Me said...

Thinking of you this Easter day! God bless you and your family.

Jill Jones said...

Hey there! I hope you are having a good day today. I've been thinking about you guys and praying for the best. Take care!!

Laura said...

Praying for you on this long journey. You are a strong person (you have to be to be a great counselor at Camp Buckskin:-) May you be blessed with peace and wisdom while enduring this awful process. You and your family are in my prayers.

LPC said...

Stumbled here. Read your news. Sending you thoughts and hopes from California.

Jonni said...

Heather:
I am thinking and praying for you as you make this trip to Houston. Linda B.shared your blog with me and a little bit about your journey.

God Speed...
Jonni Brown

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara