Monday, August 4, 2008

Make A Difference Monday

Jen, over at Daily Mish Mash, is hosting a Make A Difference Monday. Now, while I can't say that I will always have something to talk about, I can tell you one big thing that we are doing in our house to make a difference in the world: cloth diapers.


I know to most of you, those two little words totally freak you out. Honestly, it did me too. I actually looked into cloth diapers with Kyler, but got to scared to actually follow through with it. The initial cost sort of scared me also. However, after doing lots of research, and visiting this website and this website I knew that I wanted to give them a shot.


Cloth diapers have really come a long way. They aren't those burp cloths that our parents used on us. Oh no folks, these suckers are fancy. You can order them in any color you want, with snaps or Velcro, with inserts or without, etc. They truly are amazing.


I've never really been the kind of person who was afraid of pee or poop. Good or bad trait, I don't know, but maybe that is why cloth diapers work for us. Cody is even ok with cloth diapers. He's all about saving some money though!


After visiting this site, and entering the numbers, I discovered that in a year and a half I will save almost $1000. Holy crap! Do you know what I could do with $1000! Imagine the clothes I could buy my kids!


Now, I will admit that cloth diapers aren't the easiest. The washing is a little tricky. You have to be careful what detergent you use because any additive will coat your diaper and then you have major leaks. The initial washing is also very important because that is how you build up the absorbency. Found that out the hard way. Can you say major leakage!


Here are some of the diapers that we have tried. Some I liked more then others, but I bought one of each type to begin with because I didn't know what to try.


(All in One means that there is no insert. These are just like a disposable diaper and definitely the easiest to use.)


(Pocket diaper means that they have an insert that you remove when you wash them. Kind of a pain, however, with these you can control the absorbency if you have a heavy wetter. Ella is not, so the AIOs work really well for us)



*BumGenius All in One- these are my favorite

*BumGenius pocket diaper-my favorite pocket diaper

*Happy Heineys pocket diaper-adorable designs and they absorb quite well

*Pocket Change-really thick, but work really well

*Mother's Touch-don't bother

*Drybeez-don't bother



Here are some tidbits about disposable diapers that I did not know until I started researching:

-Disposable diapers contain traces of dioxin, listed by the EPS as the most toxic of all cancer linked chemicals.

-Americans spend about 7 billion dollars on disposable diapers every year.

-Disposable diapers contain Tributyl-tin a toxic pollutant know to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals.

-Disposable diapers contain Sodium Polyacrylate, which becomes gel-like when wet. Have you even seen those little gel like balls on your babies bottom when you change their diaper? This is what that is. This can cause skin irritations and severe allergic reactions.

-It takes around 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose.

-Over 92% of all single use diapers end up in a landfill. (Where does the other 8% go? Hmmmm!)

-Disposable diapers use twice as much water as cloth, mostly in the manufacturing process.


*While cloth diapering is not for everyone. It has worked out quite well for us.


*I do still use disposables on Ella at night time. Although I have a few pocket diapers that are really thick and would probably work. But, since she doesn't sleep all that well, I am so not willing to take the chance that she would wet through and that would wake her up!


*Kyler is still in disposables at times. I have enough cloth diapers for Ella that I can use them on Kyler a couple times a day. My hope was that this would help with potty training. Unfortunately, it has not! In fact, he likes the cloth diapers because of their colors! Good thing I didn't buy any with cars on them!




How do you like my Bum Genius AIO?
I keep telling mommy that yellow really isn't my color, I prefer the pink ones, but you know how mommys are!


Check me out in my Moo Print Happy Heiney cloth diaper.

I am one a-mooo-zingly beautiful little girl aren't I:)

15 comments:

Kerry said...

Haha! She sure is a-moo-zingly beautiful!

Interesting post. I know the majority of people think, "Well what can I do? I'm just one person." That's awesome that you've chosen to do what you can for the environment (and your family).

amanda said...

oh i wish i could bite the bullet and just do it friend.

but i haven't.

however, i am very proud of you!!

Christy said...

I have always wanted to do cloth diapers, but I seem to stick with what I know - disposable diapers. I really need to look into prices and whatnot.

The Mrs. said...

Adorable pics!

I thought briefly about cloth diapers but I just couldnt take it on. I'll sling manure on the compost pile over that any day!

Chelle said...

So adorable! I can't wait to buy some!
Great post and way to make a difference!

Autumn said...

I found an awesome all natural detergent to use with cloth diapers. It's called Crunchy Clean.

I LOVE the scents she offers.

www.crunchyclean.etsy.com

Autumn Beck
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com

Formercitygirl said...

Ooh, I wish I could do it. But kudos to you.

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

One more way to save some money while going green in the process! Love the cow print one!!!

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Just a question (in case I ever have a number 2 and consider this option) - what do you do when you're out? Store the dirty ones in a bag for when you get home? How does the whole messy diaper cleanup work (I'm assuming you DON'T just throw the whole mess in the wash!). What a great thing to do, I'm sure it's a lot more work than disposables, which I totally took for granted!

Jen said...

I'm finished with the diaper stage and I have to admit that I did the disposable thing when mine were babies. I'd like to think that if I had it to do over again, I would change to cloth, but I just don't know. You do make a lot of really good points.

Thanks for participating!!

Kelli said...

You are one brave woman! haha! Actually, I have been toying around with this idea, but now my little guy (just turned 2) is showing quite a bit of interest in the potty. I bought a package of pull-ups but now I am rethinking those after reading your post...I think I'll try to find the cloth training pants and then do pull-ups at night and when we are out. I'll have to check out those sites you posted too and pass it on to my sister-in-law. They have a 7 month old so he'll be in diapers for awhile!

thetoepfertimes said...

I love the cow print! After hearing your experience it makes me wish that we could go cloth, but with both of us working and Andy in school, I just don't think it would be possible. But on the other hand, it would save us tons of money, especially if you're saving that much just on 1....
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look a little harder into it.

McMommy said...

Wowie! That was all good information! I never even entertained the thought of using cloth diapers...but you brought up some great thinking points!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

We have CD'd both of our kids, though because they were both such heavy wetters we finally relented and used disposables at night. I am so glad I have done it, and I cannot STAND to go to the store to buy the nighttime disposables. They are so expensive!! I can't believe that is what people have to buy on a weekly basis! Good for you for giving it a shot and not just saying "I wish".

Wendi said...

Who knew?
My diaper days are over now, but this is great info to pass along.

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara