Monday, October 13, 2008

Money Monday

I know I said in this post that I would talk about how I saved money every Monday.

I haven't forgotten that promise.

I just don't want to talk about money! I would rather talk about my kids:) Plus, I'm not all that great at saving money. I find much more joy in spending it!

However, I have been trying to save. We finally got our cell phones on the same plan. That will save us $80 a month. We tried this a few years ago but since he has a blackberry plan we couldn't combine for one reason or another.

I have also set up all of our accounts on mint.com. This is a fabulous tool. However, it did take some time. It tells you where all your money is going. A few others are wesabe.com, and yodlee.com. These are free websites that help you plan your budget.

I gotta say, after entering our info into mint.com, I was shocked to see how much of our money goes to a certain store. Let's just say I am not allowed to go to Target for a long, long time. Damn money sucking store!

Something else that has saved us quite a bit of money is cloth diapering. This is something that Cody and I debated on for quite awhile. Was this really something that we wanted to do? Sure it would save money, but is the hassle worth it? Let me tell, the hassle is worth it. I love them. Cody doesn't mind them. And they work great for Ella. I don't even mind the washing. I will admit though, I could do without the poopy diapers. And Ella? Yeah, she poops. A LOT! We do still use disposables at night time, but I only buy diapers when they are on sale and I have a coupon. I have this website in my reader, that my good friend Lindsey pointed out to me. This has been very helpful with sales on diapers and formula. I only have to buy diapers for Ella about every 4 months or so and since Kyler uses cloth diapers a couple times a day I have only had to buy diapers for him about every 4 months.

Now I will admit, when we travel they are not the most convenient. But my parents are ok with us washing them at their house if we need to. We usually don't need to though. I just put them all in a big Ziploc bag and bring them home to wash. Although, now that I am thinking about it, washing them at mom and dad's house would save me some money:)

One other thing that I attempted to do to make some money was take in some clothes that don't fit me anymore (damn babies!) to a resale shop. This was a bit of a joke though. I had a huge bag full of good clothes and they took two shirts and a pair of shoes. Want to know what I made? $5.85 That's right folks. I am rolling in the money now! However, it's $5.85 that I wouldn't have made if I would have just donated the clothes, right?

So, tell me, what have you done to save money this week/month?

21 comments:

Formercitygirl said...

I used to take my clothes to a resale shop that only took nice clothes. The most I ever made was $23.00. Hmm! Maybe, I'll try doing it again. I do have a closet full of Banana Republic tops.

Formercitygirl said...

Oh, I finally got a blogroll, and you are in it :)

Jenn said...

I use to take my clothes and the kids to one back home and it was great. They took everything and priced it and then at the end of the month they did pay outs and you got half of everything they made on your clothes . I use to get 20-45 bucks each time I did it!

amanda said...

i love mint.com!!

and it too found my love of target a little too much :)

Clare said...

We are not the best about saving money, but I try!! I usually do my hardest work at the grocery store. I will stock pile things that are really cheap with coupons. I usually save about $50 to $70 at the grocery store. Luckily Target isn't close to the grocery store, or I would spend it!!

Shannon said...

Well, it sounds like you're on the right track! I've been really lucky with selling clothes at consignment shops, I've taken a lot of the kids' stuff in and have made a couple hundred dollars. And I love cloth diapers too - we've used them with all three kids and I showed my husband a spreadsheet estimating how much money we saved and he was flabbergasted. It keeps him motivated for those yucky poop diaper changes!!

This wasn't the best week for saving money for me - we had tons of family in town for Leah's baptism and our Thanksgiving and I bought and cooked a TON of food. My weekly grocery budget was blown out of the water!

Your Mom said...

I know of a few other things that help Heather save money. Her mom buys them things. Don't get me wrong I love doing it, but it saves Heather a lot of money. Since Heather has been diagnosed with cancer, it has been an eye-opening experience. So I've done something a little different each week to keep her mood light and cheer her up. Since she loves getting mail, I thought I would increase her mail volume every week. This is just on of my ways of telling her how much I love her. I ended up with the greatest kids (Heather, Jacki, and Adam) and now the cutest grandchildren (Kyler, Ella, and Deegan). They make it all worthwhile.

Christy said...

With all of the economic trouble, I keep telling my husband that we should be saving more money, but he thinks I am insane. So, we haven't been saving nearly as much as I would like. However, I am going to start doing more shopping at Safeway, and less at Whole Foods.

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I've thought about doing the resale thing too, but the place is so far away that I'd spend more in gas than what they would probably give me for the clothes! I'll have to check out mint.com. Thanks for the info.

Kristen said...

I'm with you on that damn money sucking store.

Staying out of my favorite Tar-jay will too help us save money!

Alicia said...

I went to Kroger today and using my grocery list from the grocery game and lots of coupons, plus my Kroger card, I saved over $50!!!! I would have saved more, but I am still restocking on some things we had to throw out after the hurricane left us without power last month.

andreawilliams said...

I know, damn Target!!
I have started the whole ebay thing. Hopefully, I can get more for the kids clothes there.

Mrs. De Miranda said...

Ok that is a cool website, I am going to go and make use! I definetly need to be saving money! Thanks! (And Target is outta control for me to, especially since my sister is a manager, she always lets me know the things go on sale, which is great and awful, haha!)

Shana said...

I wish I was better at saving money too! Since my favorite hobby besides blogging is shopping for my kids clothes, I do my part by reselling them once they don't fit anymore! I have participated in a few different resale events in the past few years to help refund SOME of what I spent. I just got my biggest check ever which was $323!!! If you want more specific info. on what I did, let me know!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Thanks for the tip about mint.com. I have been trying to watch where our money is going...and I know that Target is one of my weak spots.

Mamasphere said...

Target is my most favorite and most hated place. LOVE going there, hate walking out so much poorer.

Stacey said...

Ditto on the Target thing. I am back to selling (or attempting) to sell stuff on eBay. so far sold an outfit for $.99, didn't charge enough for shipping. so ended spending $3 to send a lady MY outfit! UGH!

Nina said...

I call Target the $100 store. I can't step foot in their and spend less than $100 dollars. I could be just going in for soap and spend $100. The store is evil!

I just took my son out of daycare and changed my work schedule to save money. I am taking a pay cut so it is probably a wash but I get 10 more hours a week to do something other than work and I am not putting so much money into daycare.

Jen said...

Thanks for the idea to check out mint.com. I have never heard of that one before and I need to really get back to being serious about my budget again.

Great job this week! Every little bit counts! :)

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Ha. Budget. I bought a butt roast because it was on sale. I'd never bought one before (ewww, butt?) but figured it could go in the crock pot...a 10 pound roast. Or it was $10.00. Something like that.
Five pounds of fat later I am the proud owner of a pot full of shredded meat. The fat was cut off, skimmed off, gone.
I still can't get myself to try it.

Wendy said...

Your mom's sweet comment almost made me cry! I have been a bit sick this week so I am catching up. Thanks for all the info.

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara