Saturday, May 23, 2009

Why I Cloth Diaper

When Ella was around 4 months I decided to take the plunge and cloth diaper. This wasn't an easy decision for me. Quite honestly I was scared. I made the choice for several reasons. 1, Kyler and Ella were both in diapers and I was spending $40 a week in diapers. 2, I was sick of all the trash. 3, the more I read about disposables and the health risks, the more frightened I got.

I started off by buying the Bum Genius all in ones. My husband told me if I was going to this, then I needed to go the easy route. All in Ones are the easy route. They are just like disposables, only you wash them.

After buying six Bum Genius diapers I knew that cloth diapering was for me. I bought 12 more Bum Genius. Since them I have purchased many different types. So far my favorite is the Thirsties cloth diaper. It fits Ella nicely and its absorbant.

When Ella is "done" with her cloth diaper, we put it in a trash can with a lid and a washable liner that we keep in the bathroom. If it's a poopy diaper I use the diaper sprayer that we have attached to the toilet to clean it off and then it goes in the can. I wash diapers every 2-3 days. This was the hardest part for me because we have an HE washer and it was very difficult to get all the soap out of the diapers. We now have 2 washers hooked up and I use the regular washer for diapers only. That has made a huge difference.

We currently have 40-50 cloth diapers and it works well for us. We use cloth diapers primarily all the time. If the grandparents don't want to use the cloth diapers, then they buy the disposables. We do put a disposable on Ella at night simply because I can not find a cloth diaper that will contain all her pee! Shoot, most nights the disposable doesn't!

While I know that cloth diapering is not for everyone, it is an option that I think all moms should consider. I know that time is a big concern for all moms, but honestly, if I can do it, you can do it. Diaper laundry is my favorite laundry! I love pulling out all those cloth diapers and see them all pretty and clean.

Some of you may be wandering where this post came from. Well, when I was reading this blog, she asked that all cloth diapering mamas do a post and try to promote cloth diapering. While I don't know that I convinced any of you to give it a try, I hope I at least made you think about it.

If you have any questions about cloth diapers or want to know more about my experiences please leave me a comment. I would love to talk cloth diapers with you:)

5 comments:

Hailey said...

I am so glad that you wrote this post. I am trying to decide now if I want to cloth diaper or not. I am leaning towards it. I may be e-mailing you in the near future with many questions! Haha! Hope you are feeling well.

Cjengo said...

I love cloth diapers, and had several AOI diapers. I would recommend them to anyone. I am afraid with Jude's stroke the cloth diapering just couldn't be managed with the hospital stays.

Lindsay said...

I us the bumgenius diapers as well. However, I have been looking into trying a few others. I am going to go check out the ones you suggested.

Wendi said...

You convinced me.
I am going to go cloth diapers
all. the. way.
What am I talking about?
My children are all potty trained.
Oh well....you were very convincing.;)

The Roaming Southerner said...

thank you for posting about this. I am still 24 weeks away from having to commmit to any decision, but I think I am leaning towards cloth. Thanks!

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara