Friday, June 12, 2009

Low, Low, and Lower

Every Tuesday and Friday I have the distinct pleasure of heading to the Dr's office to have blood drawn. Since I have the PICC line it's really not that bad. Kyler comes with me and he gets a sticker and then we head to McDonald's for some breakfast.

The scary part of all of it is getting the results. I, of course, hope and pray that my white blood cells, red blood cells, hemoglobin, platelets, etc are going up, but unfortunately that is not always the case. As was today.

Tuesday my hemoglobin was 8.46, under an eight I have to have a blood transfusion. Today my count was 8.01. My argument was it's still not under an 8. However, since it's so close I lost. So, here I sit, waiting to have someone else's blood put into my body. The thought sort of freaks me out. It's not supposed to be painful, and supposedly I will feel better afterwards. But seriously, someone else's blood? But, what can I do? Nothing. Like always, I can do nothing. Most of you know, I am a control freak. Having no control over pretty much everything in my life totally sucks. Once I kick cancer's ass, look out, because I am going to control the world! I think I deserve it, right?

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Yes, you deserve everything and more. It was kind of wierd knowing Olivia had more of other people's blood in her body than her own (after over a dozen transfusions.) Actually, she had more adult blood cells than infant. So, you and Olivia can have something in common. We're so thankful for the people out there who give blood that helps so many different people and situations. By giving blood, you could be helping someone like Heather win the fight with cancer or helping babies in the NICU. How amazing!

The Hooper Family said...

I would be freaked out by the thought of a blood transfusion too. Although, I'm not freaked out about giving blood, but I never really thought about it much more than I was doing something good...well actually I never get to give blood b/c my iron is always too low...anyways..

Yes, you can control the world after you've kicked cancer, but just not mine...I like control too :)

Hailey said...

You most definitely deserve to control the world once you kick cancers ass! You deserve to control the world now though too!
Continued prayers in NC!

andreawilliams said...

kick that cancers ass!!

Christy said...

Oh no. Sorry friend.

Midwest Mommy said...

I can't wait for you to kick cancers ass!

Clare said...

you deserve to rule the world after all of this!! hope you are holding up OK...thinking of you!

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

OK...I totally agree with you that I would feel a bit freaked out that someone else's blood was entering my body....HOWEVER, thank GOD that people give blood!!!!

You never know my friend - your impact continues to grow as your followers grow - you could be encouraging people to give blood just by reading your post and thus saving more lives.

Thinking of you -
J

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara