Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Good and The Bad

I have news.

We met with the Dr today and reviewed my PET scan and MRI results. According to the PET I am down to 2 tumors and they are shrinking at a rapid rate.

Two rounds ago the large tumor measured 1.7cm, now it is measuring 1.2cm. That is over 25% shrinkage. The Dr was thrilled with that progress. Apparently, that much shrinkage between the 3rd and 4th rounds is not common.

In fact, he was so enthused with this news that he decided to add two more rounds to the end. I am not happy about this at all. I was so excited about being done next month. This will extend my chemo into October. I am so sad. I had already planned a family vacation in September and zoo classes for the kids and family pictures. It's been a rough day. A day of ups and downs. I am sick of Houston. I am sick of leaving my kids. I am sick of feeling like shit. I just want to feel normal again. I just want to be able to take care of my munchkins again. I just want to be cancer free again!

12 comments:

Patrice said...

So sorry about the bad news!! :( That really sucks. I'm REALLY happy that you got good news, though. That's awesome, at least it sounds like the cancer is going away! As hard as it is, try to focus on the positive because that's awesome news! Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers *hugs*

Christy said...

It is not really bad news. It is kind of good news. You are making progress! You are kicking cancer's ass!

Shana said...

Sorry to hear that you have two more rounds but this sounds like REALLY good news to me!!!! Are you up for having visitors? If not, I totally understand! It would have to be Sat during the day or Sunday....Let me know! Love ya!

Wendi said...

I refuse to focus on the bad.
Nope.
Not gonna do it.
Instead I shall do my celebratory dance in honor of your miraculous, shrinking tumors!
((hugs))

Chris said...

I'm sorry to hear that your plans have changed. I can't imagine how hard it is to be away from your family!

But you are doing awesome and that is tremendous news that you are making such great progress! Keep fighting.

Sally said...

Sounds like there's a lot of good news there, chica! 2 more rounds suck, but it sounds a bit good since the rounds are being added b/c they're WORKING!! Hang in there!!

Amos & Jamie Bazil said...

What wonderful news to know that you have lost 1/2 of your tumors!! It could have been worse so look at it as the cup half full and keep your chin up! Keep praying that these extra rounds will get rid of those nasty last 2 tumors!! Remembering you always my dear!!

Lindsay said...

oo the good and the bad.. the good is great!! the bad stinks.. but I think the good outshines.. sorry about the vacation and all of the wonderful things you had planned!!

amanda said...

pretty sure the "bad" just means that your vacation will just be bigger and better when it's time to celebrate the end of treatment!!

and huge congrats on the shrinkage!!

Kristi said...

I'm sorry you did not get the news you were expecting, but CONGRATS on the progress - that is great news :)

Midwest Mommy said...

I am so glad to read you are making progress! Thinking about you.

thetoepfertimes said...

I think it's amazing news! I know it sucks to have to go through two more rounds, but it's great that it's going away!!!

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara