Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sleep Tight

This afternoon I put Ella down for her nap. Of course, the minute the door shut she was out of bed. I usually let her play in her room for about 15 minutes before going in and putting her back in bed.

Today I went back in and she asked me to rock her. Usually I say no. I am busy. I have things to do. But today I said yes.

So we rocked.

And we cuddled.

And I rubbed her back.

And then I started thinking of all the stuff I needed to do.

And then I realized that I should be sent to the naughty mat.

My precious 1 year old is almost a 2 year old. There are not many days left that she will want me to rock her. Some day soon she will want nothing to do with her over protective mother. She will think I am silly, goofy, and totally uncool.

So, for now, the cleaning, the cooking, the laundry, etc will wait.

Because I will be busy.

Rocking my baby:)

12 comments:

Amos & Jamie Bazil said...

Thank you for the reminder to enjoy our kids, especially when they want us to snuggle and cuddle. I catch myself several times saying I'm busy just to go clean something...that can wait...I needed that reminder!

Lindsay said...

So true and so sweet! Today Sammy woke up grumpy from his nap.. I tried to rub his back and make him feel better he told me no :-P Turkey! I can't believe she is almost 2!!

Amy said...

this is so sweet and true..

Me said...

Awesome!

The other day, shopping for a baby shower, I found myself in isle 45 at Babies R Us close to a meltdown because he will never be a baby again.

Clare said...

this is so hard to remember sometimes!! i can't wait for naptime some days because i am just tired!! it is so hard to remember that the to do list is always there

Christy said...

Great perspective Mama. I do the same thing, except it usually involves refusing to carry Izzy. I tell him it hurts my back (which is true), but I should take the time to nestle him in my arms more often.

Jessi said...

Love this post! I too sometimes get caught in the moments where I feel like I HAVE To clean, I HAVE to do laundry and here I have my two babies who are growing at warp speed, wanting me to play.

cleaning and laundry can wait. I have babies to enjoy :).

Great post!

Shana said...

AMEN to that!

Sally said...

I have those discussions in my head, too. And then there's the thought that I'm not helping my kiddo learn how to go to sleep on his own - but I don't care, I'm rocking him!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Love this post. I am all about snuggling my kiddos too 'cuz I know one of these days they won't want to anymore. And, really, any excuse to postpone cleaning is fine by me! :)

Jenny said...

what a great moment...it is so amazing how quickly they grow up. will sometimes will come up and snuggle for no reason and I just soak him up!

Clare said...

So sweet, we are at the same place-Fiona rarely likes to cuddle. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy when she does!!

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara