Friday, January 15, 2010

My Goals For 2010

I thought it would be a good idea for me to post my goals on here for several reasons.

One, this will make me more accountable. If they are on here, you all will see them. Therefore, holding me more accountable!

Two, if I put them on here I can go back periodically and update.

Three, it will end up in the kids (and my) blog book so I will have it as a reminder in future years. If I can do it for one year, by the end of year it will more than likely just become natural (I hope)!

So, here are my goals for 2010.

First and foremost, remain cancer free! Obviously, this is out of my control. This is in God's hands. So, really my goal is to talk to God more and listen to him. He knows what he is doing. Whether I like it or not.

Second, take Kyler and Ella to the zoo, Exploration Place, My Gym, etc. at least every other week. As I reread this, I thought I had better explain that I just mean take them to one or the other every other week. We have a pass to the zoo and Exploration Place. We have a lifetime Membership to My Gym, but we don't take the classes (because they cost an arm and a leg!) but the Free Play is around $10 for an hour of fun.

Third, stop spending so damn much money! I adore shopping. I really do. For the last three months I have documented where all of our money goes. I spend the money. If it weren't for me, my husband would be one rich man. Our kids would only have 5 outfits, but he would be rich! Documenting has really opened my eyes to my spending habits. Setting up a budget is way to difficult because of all of our medical bills. You would think the bills would stop coming, but they don't and they probably never will! One month our medical bills might be $100, and the next month they are $1000! And that's with good insurance! Unfortunately, Cody's insurance changed, and our insurance will suck for this year. Boo!

Fourth, work on more homeschool activities with the kids. I would love to homeschool the kids, but Cody told me no. He doesn't usually tell me no, so he must feel pretty strongly about this. So, for now I am going to just work on doing a couple fun learning activities a week with each of them. I was given permission to homeschool Ella once Kyler is in school. Honestly, she is ready for Preschool now. She is such a smart little girl! One thing that does worry me, that most people don't have to worry about, is what if the cancer returns and I am homeschooling Ella. Then she will miss out on at least half a year of learning, because I will be to sick to teach her. This worries me. But, for now, she is to young for Preschool so I will worry about that later!

Fifth, eat a little bit better. I love junk food (I also get that from my mom! Thanks mom!). I always have and I always will. At this point I have no desire to stop junk food. But I do need to add more fruits and veggies to our diets and cut down on the junk.

Sixth, Do more meal planning. i.e.: cook more meals. I am the Queen of buying the boxed, Homestyle Bake meals. I hate to cook. I find it boring and I hate the mess it makes! But, this goes along with Goal Three and Five. So, if you have super simple recipes that require few ingredients, hook me up!! Or if you know of good websites with easy recipes, send them my way!

Seventh, get Kyler to sleep in his own damn bed! 'Nuff said!

Now the real challenge will be to see if I can keep on top of my goals!

Do you have any goals for 2010? I would love to hear them!

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

okay.. for recipes.. I love this cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Forget-5-ingredient-Favorites-Phyllis-Pellman/dp/1561485292/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263564486&sr=8-41 I know you would have to spend money to buy it.. but all of the recipes are 5 ingredients or less and you can make them in the crock pot.. less mess and cheap yummy meals. I have a few recipes in my email that I have sent to friends.. I will send them over :-)

I posted some goals too. http://www.bytesofmemory.com/2009/12/2010-goals.html

You can do it! I know you can :-)

Chelle said...

I have faith in you girl!! You can do them all--I always admire how much you do. Seriously--you are one amazing momma!

My goals? Get Isabella potty trained {thank you SO much for all of that awesome info!}, lose weight {which I've done pretty well so far--yay!}, start doing preschool type of activities like you have planned.

I know there are more, but that's all I can think of right now :)

Christy said...

I want to spend less money/save more and I want to teach Porgie to read. That is it. I NEED to do lots of things, but these are the only two I truly hope to accomplish in 2010.

Shana said...

Those sound great!!! Good luck with them all!

Clare said...

i love all of your goals, i am going to work on a post like this sometime this week too! we too need to work on spending...umm maybe just me;) i love the cooking more at home. this is always a goal for me too!

Evansmom said...

I posted my goals in my blog but the
biggies are:
1)Use my crockpot at least one time
a week.
2)Take my lunch to work at least 3 times per week (which will be easier if I follow number 1)
3)Walk at least 3 times per week

Heather @ boy, girl, and a pug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,

I'm proud of you and your plans for the year! It's hard but you will find it will all be worth it. Seeing it on paper makes you realize where the money is going.What is nice, is the satisfaction when you compare and see you did it.

You know I could give you a lot of recipes!!! Recipes are one of MY weaknesses! I'll make you a BOOK!
Living on a farm makes you appreciate food---and the cost of it! G'pa doesn't care for a lot of my recipes so I get complaints a lot!!

I think schooling for the kids is important---but also feel the outside connection with others is a good thing---especially when they get to that age. I think I have seen little workbooks for pre-school that would work at home. They still need time on their own to do things, they see things by watching others. I'm not sure what they have on TV anymore---Big Bird, etc.. I always tho't it would be a good way to learn letters of the alphabet. But now----it's been a LONG time since I've had to worry about that!!!!!

I'll work on the recipes!!

Love
G'ma

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Hey Heather...can you tell me how you got your pay pal account set up on your blog? I have a friend that wants to do the same.

Thanks.
Jamie

Becks said...

These are great goals! I can relate to a lot of them... Especially getting Kyler to sleep in his own bed! Of course it's Sophia in my situation (obviously, haha) It's a new thing that has happened and it needs to stop now!! Especially if we are going to make a miracle and have a secomd child ;)

Amanda said...

Heather :)
My name is Amanda. I'm Jodi's friend from Ohio... that's how I found your blog... a looong time ago... :) I've been reading before you even got Cancer.. but have never posted. guess I'm a lurker.. I have put your name on our prayer card at church over the last year a few times.... so, you've been gettin prayers even over here in Ohio...from people you don't even know :) But, I figured you wouldn't care :) More prayers the better, right?!.. anyways! I decided to comment, because of your interest in possibly homeschooling?.. personally, from what little I DO know about you.. I think you would do great.... You obviously ADORE your kids.. and love them so much... and I bet that you would "rock" as a homeschool momma :) I started last year with my just turned 5 year old.. and its amazing... just wanted to give you a little encouragement if you were being serious :) Although, rule number one of the homeschooling around here.. and at our church.. is... you BOTH have to be on board :) It won't work if both parents aren't into it... maybe Cody will change his mind :) We still do sports and things.. and will probably put the boys in for High School.. but.. (I am totally giving you advice you didn't ask for) but anyways! If you DO decide to look into it more... I'd be happy to talk to you about it.. you look like you are doing great by the way!.. I will totally pray for a clear PET scan... you seem like you're a great mommy!

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara