Monday, March 1, 2010

Some Better News

We just finished up an appointment with an oncologist here in Nashville at Vanderbilt Cancer Center. I really liked the Dr. For starters, he spoke English! Fabulous! And we were on the same page. From the beginning of this "rediagnosis" I was not convinced that it was cancer. Probably just wishful thinking, I know that, but I still need a little convincing. And apparently, so does this oncologist.

He looked at the PET/CT scan from MD Anderson and was not convinced that this is actually melanoma. It could be scar tissue, it could be calsification, etc. Sooooo, tomorrow we have an appt with a surgeon here at Vanderbilt and hopefully he will be able to ultrasound and/or biopsy the spot so that we can have confirmation that yes this is cancer or not it's not.

If it's NOT cancer, we do nothing. Seems kind of silly to start chemo if I have no cancer at this point!

If it IS cancer, then it sounds as if I have a spot on the RO5 trial.

So, overall, this was a good appointment. Obviously, I am hoping that it is NOT cancer. However, at this point I do not expect that outcome. I am just happy that it will be confirmed. I need to know, if for nothing else, my own damn sanity!

And, just to clear up some questions, I did actually ask my Dr at MDA about performing surgery or a biopsy and he said no. While they are the best in the nation, I feel so much better about finding a Dr that will listen to me and is willing to confirm my suspicions.

The bad part is that have had to change our flights, etc. And, I only brought one outfit (including underwear!) so a trip to Target is in the near future:) However, I am not complaining about that:)

So, my dear readers, if you wouldn't mind, stop what you are doing and say a quick little prayer to the Man above. We would definitely appreciate it.

19 comments:

Shana said...

Just said a prayer for COMPLETE healing! I know God is a God of miracles! Stay strong and Love ya always!!!

Patrice said...

Glad you got some better news and are getting a second opinion. Definitely saying a prayer for you that you get more good news soon!

Christy said...

Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Hailey said...

Heather, you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I am sending all of my happy thoughts your way. ;)

Wendi said...

No need to ask, one has already been said.
So glad for second opinions, and miracles!

Laura said...

Always praying. How wonderful this Dr. decided to listen to you. Always trust your instincts...at least that's what I'm told. Definitely worth having a biopsy. Good Luck to you and anxious to hear what you find out.

Cindy said...

I am keeping you in my prayers.

I chose your blog for an award...please come by to pick it up. :-)

Laura said...

Prayer has been said for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

And, done - prayer said! We wish you the best my friend. Stay strong, and don't buy out Target - it's a dangerous place! :>)

Timili (& the rest of the Grady bunch)

Chelle said...

Praying my freaking heart out!!

Heather, omg, I am praying so hard for you! I hope that the news will be GREAT that you get back.

Have a great shopping trip!!

PS-when will you find out the results from the u/s or biopsy?

xo

Randi said...

Cousin im glad to hear the are willing to test the stop. and im praying its not cancer so you dont have to go through hell again. you may want to go to walmart they are cheaper lol. I know its hard to get a dr to listen to you. I have a few medical problems myself and getting test for lots of issues and come March 8th when i have the test done lets hope they find the problem. I have not told anyone in the family cus i didnt want to had worry to any but me and my parents. well im off to bed night cousin good luck

Becks said...

That Dr. sounds awesome!!! Such a good feeling knowing he is listening and that you can have peace of mind. I am saying some big prayers for you that it is NOT cancer!!

HUGS xox

Krissy @ ArtsyMom said...

I hope everything is ok! I would have gotten a second opinion too. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Jenny said...

glad that you are seeing another dr. you definitely want one that listens to all your concerns! praying and hoping that it is not cancer!

Lindsay said...

oo what wonderful news! Regardless of the outcome finding a dr. that will listen is great news! Praying that its not cancer!

Cynthia Manley said...

Hi. I am the communications officer at Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center. Don't worry, Big Brother's not watching. But your blog came to me in Google alerts for "cancer" and "Vanderbilt" keywords. I was intrigued by your story, and curious how you found Vanderbilt.

I'm hoping that this is not cancer either, and can point you to Target if you need directions!

Our team will take good care of you. Our melanoma in particular is really great.

We'd love to have you in our Facebook community -- www.facebook.com/vanderbiltingram or see you Twitter: @manleyatvicc

Or if you have any other information/feedback to share, feel free to email me at cynthia.manley@vanderbilt.edu

Take care!

Me said...

Oohhh... I hope - I hope - I hope - it is NOT cancer...

Dear God - Please give this fighting momma some really great news and show her the fight is worth it because she is fighting hard and strong - Amen

Wouldn't that be amazing if it wasn't cancer?!?! If you defied the odds with what they originally told you the second go around?!?! That would be so great!

Melissa said...

For sure praying for you Heather! Can't wait to hear what the biopsy has to say! {{{HUGS}}}

thetoepfertimes said...

So glad you got a Dr that listens to you!!! Praying that you get more good news and it's not back!!

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara